Wednesday 26 September 2012

Body Shop Maca Root Shaving Cream


When someone recommended to me to try Body Shop’s Maca RootShaving Cream the shaving snob in me said “Body Shop how can they trump the big names in the shaving world?”. Well lets see shall we? I got a 200ml tub of this shaving cream but it also comes in a smaller tube. Aesthetically Body Shop have done the normal things to appeal to male buyers – dark blue tub colour and bold style font. I quite like the look of the packaging but you cannot compare it to the big names in shaving.

So what about the cream itself? Lets start with scent. Hard to place, I have read reviews of this cream where people like the cream but did not like the scent. To my nose it has a traditional scent of an old barber shop but with nutty under tones. This scent instantly appealed to me as it was more like the woody scents that I love. Although the cream’s scent is quite strong it does not over power the scent of any balm or aftershave I used. With “the other half test” this did quite well and got the thumbs up.

So how did it lather? I used two methods to lather this cream; bowel and face each time using my NF Tubby 2 brush. Bowel method – with a small dip and twirl of the brush coating the tips I managed to achieve a good quantity of lather quickly and easily, more than enough for 3 passes. Face method – with the same amount on the brush the cream lathered up quickly on the face with plenty left for all 3 passes. The lather itself did have some small bubbles but retained heat and moisture well. While on the face it was stable and did not dry too quickly. Between passes there was a nice amount a slickness remaining which I think is essential for a “pain free” shave. After my shave each and every time my face felt hydrated and clean.

Overall I was presently surprised by the Body Shop Maca Root Shaving Cream. It lathered really well and the shave was as good as the big name creams I have tried. I my opinion this is an everyday shaving cream for the morning workday shave. Are there better creams on the market? Yes. Are there creams wit better scents? Yes, but for the price this is a very good cream that you will not be disappointed with.

Scent
Lather
Hydration
Overall
3½/5
5/5
3½/5
12/15

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, Andrew - just goes to show how our response to scent is a personal thing. I loved the performance of the cream but couldn't get on with the scent, hence why I offered it for sale on the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is great. Thank you for this post. I like this type of people who share knowledge with others.

    Bikini line shaver

    ReplyDelete