Tuesday 7 August 2012

Proraso “Red Tube” Sandalwood and Shea Butter


I was quite excited to give this new shaving cream from the famous Proraso a try. This cream comes from their new format for 2012, which is Paraben free, Silicone free, and SLS free. As I’ve stated before I love woody scents to my shaving creams and I have used the “Green Tube” Proraso for sometime and enjoyed it. The ascetics of the packaging are spot on. I find that all the Proraso range is packaged very nicely and looks traditional and eye catching.

So far so good but how was the scent? Not good I’m afraid, not good at all! If there is Sandalwood in there I cannot smell it, in fact I cannot identify was scent the cream is. To me it smelt a little like detergent, not a pleasant soap smell like you get with a Palmolive shave stick but a slightly odd smell. The cream also failed the “other half test” as my wife was not impressed.

Ok scent is one thing but how did it lather? Ok really. Using about an almond sized amount in my bowel and using a Tubby 2 shaving brush the cream whipped up into a decent lather, enough for 3 passes. Not the best quality I’ve never had but a good amount that remained stable in the bowel. The lather covered my face well but I did find some larger bubbles than with other creams I have tried and even than the “Green Tube” Proraso.

During my shave the cream offered decent cushioning and my face felt hydrated afterwards but not as much as I have got from other creams and even not as much as the “Green Tube” Proraso range.

Overall I’m really not sure what Proraso have done to this cream for it not to come up to the standard set by their other products. I feel a little let down by this cream, as I was expecting big things given ingredients used and the other products in the range. Would I use it again or recommend it? No, I’ll stick to the “Green Tube” in the future.

Scent
Lather
Hydration
Overall
1/5
3/5
2½/5
6½/15

No comments:

Post a Comment